|Photo Courtesy of|
Key Lime Pie
Prepare the filling for the pie first, so it can thicken during the time it takes to prepare the crust.
4 tsp lime zest
1/2 cup strained lime juice (from 3 or 4 limes)
4 large egg yolks
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
Graham Cracker Crust
9 graham crackers (5 oz), broken into rough pieces
2 TB granulated sugar
5 TB unsalted butter, melted and warm
Whipped Cream Topping
3/4 cup heavy cream, chilled
1/4 cup (1 oz.) confectioners’ sugar
1/2 lime sliced paper thin and dipped in sugar (optional)
1. For The Filling: whisk the zest and yolks in a medium nonreactive bowl until tinted light green, about 2 minutes.
Beat in the milk, then juice; set aside at room temperature to thicken ( about 30 minutes).
2. For The Crust: adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 325 degrees.
3. In a food processor, process the graham crackers until evenly fine, about 30 seconds ( you should have about 1 cup crumbs).
Add the sugar and pulse to combine.
Continue to pulse while adding the warm melted butter in a steady stream; pulse until the mixture resembles wet sand.
Transfer the crumbs to a 9-inch glass pie plate, evenly press the crumbs into the pie plate, using your thumb and a 1/2
cup measuring cup to square off the top of the crust. Bake the crust until it is fragrant and beginning to brown, 15 to 18 minutes;
transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
4. Pour the lime filling into the crust; bake until the center is set, yet wiggly when jiggled, 15 to 17 minutes.
Return the pie to a wire rack;cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 3 hours.
(The pie can be covered directly with lightly oiled or oil-sprayed plastic wrap and refrigerated up to 1 day.)
5. For The Whipped Cream: Up to 2 hours before serving, whip the cream in the chilled bowl of an electric mixer
to very soft peaks. Adding the confectioners’ sugar 1 TB at a time, continue whipping to just stiff peaks.
Decoratively pipe the whipped cream evenly with a rubber spatula. Garnish with optional sugared lime slices and serve.
- Sent using Google Toolbar"
Many thanks to Network Of Food!